What's a Clubhouse? Breaking Down The Newest Platform on The Social Scene.
The newest social media platform that has many experiencing major FOMO, Clubhouse.
Now before you roll your eyes at the news of yet, another social media platform... (Trust me, I initially did the same!), let's hear ♣️ house out.
Firstly, let's go through the most essential information.
No photos, no videos - just audio!
Think of it like a live podcast that allows you to join in, network and ask live questions.
Or, think of it like a plethora of radio stations that you're able to select between, based on their outlined topic of discussion. Instead of calling up the station, you're able to tap a button to request joining "the stage" and speaking live.
The app is currently in BETA, so you currently require an invitation to use it. (Cue the major FOMO!)
Not the best time to be an Android user as it is (currently) only available for iPhone users.
Major names have been seen regularly on the platform.
Just yesterday I was in a room, no big deal, nothing too special, and then Gary V himself joins in... (If you don't know who Gary V is, please read up. It hurt my marketing soul when I explained this story to my brothers and they weren't even sure who the man was...) He is immediately seen and invited to join the stage and from here, those in the room can ask him a live question... You tell me another platform or space that allows you to reach out, network and ask the best in the field your burning questions...
Let me give you a tour and some key terms to learn and know...
This is the Hallway (aka the home feed).
This is where you can invite others to join Clubhouse. However, you will be restricted with invites so choose wisely. The more you actively participate and add to the value of the platform, the more invites you will gain.
When I first joined Clubhouse I was only given one invitation, (which of course I handed out to my business partner from Rise with Reels, Monique), however - the more I participated, the more rooms I started and joined, the more invites I started to receive.
For those who aren't too savvy when it comes to technology or social media, you'll be a BIG fan of this because whilst the look is quite basic, there isn't much too it yet, making it easy to quickly understand your way around.
What I *really* like about the platform?
- It is brand spanking new - everyone is starting with a fresh slate. It's like the first day of school, which I love. You're able to engage with people of all industries and in all sorts of different positions.
- Purely audio - no matter where you are, what you're doing or wearing, what you look like - it does not matter. What does matter is what you have to say, what value you can add to the conversations.
- Multitaskers Galore - if you're like me and enjoy doing multiple things at once, then you're going to LOVE this platform. I'm able to join whilst doing some simple design work, or whilst I am going for a walk, or making lunch.
- Networking - well what a fantastic space to meet other driven and inspiring individuals.
- Unlike any other platform, Clubhouse doesn't publicly save anything. It is all live and the only thing that remains the same for everyone to consistently see is your bio image and description. This means you can say goodbye to the whole idea of the "highlight reel". Only showing your best shots, the best of the best and ensuring you always look and showcase yourself in the best light...
So you're one of the lucky ones and you've made it onto the platform, what now?
There are only two ways to communicate and stand out on Clubhouse, so be sure to start with your profile.
Ensure you connect your account to Instagram and Twitter (if you have them). This will allow others to jump across and connect with you further on Instagram.
Once you've connected your account, be sure to take some time to truly let yourself shine through your bio. This is how people are going to be able to learn more about you, your why and what makes you great!